Making myself a third set of POV LED Supernova poi this week. I finally updated the Adafruit Industries tutorial with the new switch design — the original design was a little twitchy, this one’s much more robust. I’m using polycarbonate tubes I had on-hand and they’re a teensy bit too small and I pushed too hard and I broke my Teensy 3.2’s USB port right off. Damn and blast. I should know better by now.
I’ve been performing at a lot of great events with these poi lately and almost every performer I work with asks me to make them a set. So I’ve been timing myself, and pondering whether poi construction is something I might want to add to my long list of micro-business ventures.
After destroying my microcontroller with my last burst of enthusiastic tube-pushing, I’m not so sure I want to go that route. I suppose if I’m serious I need to find a reliable source of materials instead of just using tubing I found buried in my garage.
Anyhow, I updated the tutorial. Go make your own!